Sunday, May 31, 2009

Spotlight Artist of the Week: LeMarvin

Like Hip-Hop, R&B is struggling to find a voice that can represent the people that enjoy the genre and still be relevant in the industry. We had the opportunity to communicate with L.A.'s own LeMarvin - a gifted artist that has been through the toughest challenges, both personally and professionally and still makes music the hood can appreciate. For all its challenges, growing up in the hood has at least one advantage: you develop a natural resilience to whatever life throws at you. R&B singer LeMarvin Harris can certainly attest to that. The Inglewood, CA native has survived the street life, a stint in the Navy, and a series of failed record deals. But as the saying goes, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And today, with a huge Internet following and a much anticipated debut album (Confusion) on Brookland Entertainment, LeMarvin is a musical Hercules.

Q: Finish this statement: "I sing because...
"I feel like I have a purpose in life when doin it...its rare when what you do could make people happy ease the stress we all goin thru."

Q: You've been grindin' for almost five years now; you've faced adversity and have been signed to multiple recording deals-what keeps you going?
"I dont know cause its been plenty of times I wanted to say I'm done but somethin' kept bringin' me back....i guess it ain't in my hands and not to try to sound holy or like a saint but he keep wakin' me up to do this,good bad and all."

Q: Who are your musical inspirations?
"Tupac, R. Kelly, Marvin Gaye, and The Isley Brothers."

Q: What's different this time around with Brookland Entertainment?
"More creative control and its a small company run by Eric Nicks so most of the time you know the ins and outs (percentages) off whats goin' on. Kinda like a family situation instead of the majors....never knowin' whats goin' on,for the most part for me its a piece of mind,knowin' your work is not taken for granted."

Q: Work hard, play hard they say--what do you do to chillax?
"John Madden PS3 ,play ball,watch movies, hang wit Junior, my son, and watch some of the worst movies to get inspiration to write."

Q: Are you in touch with any of the old members of Last Minute?
"Well we all from Cali so we run into each other all the time. You cant help that everybody just tryna keep food on the table and stay fly at the same time cause we all got seeds."

Q: With songs like "Thug Like Me", "She Don't Be", and "U Got That" you present what I like to call hood-good love songs-do you write your own material?
"First off those songs are like 5 years old but i get the best responses on them but yes half of the album is co-wrote."

Q: What's your dream collabo?
"Plies and Dream as of now."


Q: Any tour dates in the future?
"Guest appearances right now but once the ball get rollin' its goin' down cause a lot of people askin' so yeah just don't forget about a nigga cause I promise I wont forget about nobody.

Q: What can we expect to hear on "Confusion"?
"Alotta my life situations put into song mode witt just a little more edge than most,basically just introducing everything that went on with me in a span of 8 to 10 years of my life. Its kinda like reversepsychology,the more I talk about it the sooner I can change up and be the man I suppose to be."

Q: "Too Many Patrons" is hot! What's the next single to drop? When?
"Well I was about to drop anotha single called "Change The Sheets" but I'm just gettin' real picky cause i can but "Transformer"might be the next single off of Brookland for me comin' soon to a hood near you, matter of fact you gone be able to pick it up everywhere cause its gone blow remember I said that."

Q: What's your five year plan?
"Damn people still askin' this question? LOL! I'm fuckin' wit you, but I never had a plan, if I did I wouldn't have went through most of the shit I been through but all i can say is I just wanna be I just wanna be successful."


Q: Last question: Any words of wisdom for an aspiring artist trying to make it in the music industry?
"Its sick out here or should I say in here(this bizz)do you, work hard and keep dreaming cause the people runnin' this shit don't know shit."

In Closing:

Brotha-thank you for taking the time out of your BUSY schedule to answer these questions-your willingness to open your heart and mind to your fans will take you far. From one SOCAL native to another-DO YA THANG MANE!!!

"Any time my nigga.
All we need is love ...."

Holla!!!

Robert "Bobby" Du'Vall Humes, Sr.
Director/CEO
Semuh Breeze Promotions

No comments:

Post a Comment