Friday, May 8, 2009

The State of Hip-Hop--Hilarity or Emergency




Yezzir,

Many of you may have heard the news about the latest addition to the Semuh Breeze family. Prince Carter arrived on May 5, 2009 and I am happy to report that he is doing well. His addition reminds me that all things are precious and the true nature of appreciating the precious things is remembering how fragile and important they are. That being said we all must atone for the lack of care we have given to our most sacred and shared common ground. Beyond any flag or creed we all can rely on Hip-Hop for the vibe and syncopated rhythms that have become the sound tracks of our very lives. We have prostituted samples and voice box (T-Pain excluded) hooks in place of lyrical meaning and true self expression. Tupac and B.I.G where not the old school turn table spray can crooners my uncles and older cousin's turned me on to--but their music was-at it's time (and still is today)-a representation of the struggles, happiness and madness of the people that enjoyed Hip-Hop music. Today's rappers (I refuse to call 93% of these clowns artist) are pimped out by record company and lazy A&Rs in the hopes that they will sell enough albums and remain relevant long enough to make money. I can't hate on Soulja Boy and won't waste time doing so - he is young - and made an ATTEMPT with his last album to "give-it-a-go" at true Hip-Hop. It's garbage but not because it's lyrically weak but because it sells. That means that the swarms of unknown artist (I meet one in person or online every other day) who have talent will never become known because the next generation of HHHs (Hip-Hop Heads) will be poisoned by the seed of greed. Don't get me wrong - we're in a recession and no manager likes to see his artists work at their craft and not be recognized - but I feel that as a HHH I have the responsibility to seek out good music - eat that music up - and regurgitate it out to the masses. Here at Semuh Breeze Promotions - ANY review we do will be done in the essence of REAL Hip-Hop- we won't sugar coat and promote garbage because: first - we don't have time for crap; second - you don't have time for crap; and finally - because I'm a fan of Hip-Hop NOT rap. Vote for real Hip-Hop - use your dollars to do so.

Holla!!!

Robert "Bobby" Du'Vall Humes, Sr.
Director/CEO
Semuh Breeze Promotions

No comments:

Post a Comment