Monday, June 29, 2009

Spotlight Artist of the Week: Michael Jackson

One day my mother, who worked two jobs to support us, dropped me off with my cousins while she worked. My cousins and I got up early to watch TV while the rest of the house was quiet and sleeping. The sun had not reached it's peak and the house was dark and cold. We turned of the TV, tuned in to MTV and caught the Thriller video just as Michael, in that iconic red leather jacket, walked a young girl down a dark street. I still get chills thinking about it. A mix of emotion came upon us. Scared, thrilled (no pun intended) and in complete awe of the effortlessness of MJ's dancing skills. It was captivating. Michael Jackson left an impression on me that day that I will never forget. I would walk around the house, grabbing my crouch, thrusting my pelvis - all of which would have never been socially acceptable in my house if it where never for MJ. I wanted to be him. No for the fame or fortune, I had no value of such things at the time. But he had this "something" about him. You knew he was great.

He set the bar for others to follow. He was, and still is, the only artist that could cause adult Asian men to cry. His style and performance was the mark of creative genius. Though near the end a cloud settled over his life, Michael Jackson still sold out tours. He was the marker in the definition of my youth and his music was the soundtrack to my young life. I have to admit - I never owned an album. You didn't have to own an album to be impacted by his music - it was everywhere and so was He. Today you can still hear the latest music from MJ--when you buy a Ne-Yo album - you hear MJ, when you by a J.T. album - you hear MJ and the list goes on.

What I remember most is the Moon Walker movie. If you haven't seen it - you owe it to yourself to check it out. The movie takes you on a journey and for a child growing up in the hood I learned to appreciate escapism. Michael help a lot of us see a better tomorrow. He was a lot like all of us - his family, though not without it's share of drama, embodied the American Dream. He showed that hard work and talent pays off - and dedication to your craft can make you a legend in life and in death. So we at Semuh Breeze Promotions raise our glasses to Michael Jackson - may his music and his artistry be an example of the value of GOOD music; and may we never forget his impact on the world.

Holla!!!

Director/CEO
Semuh Breeze Promotions

No comments:

Post a Comment