Monday, July 13, 2009

Spotlight Artist of The Week: 3rd Degry aka The Real Nobody

Hip-Hop is a unique form of expression. The true essence of a genre derived from life experiences, the ins and outs of the daily grind--Hip-Hop fuels that grind and in the right hands it can be a powerful force for community awareness and change. The successful understand that hard work, realness (this means not selling out by the way) and talent are what make you great. Today that mantra seems to have stalled amidst the cookie cutter, ringtone, auto-tune products hitting store shelves in the name of Hip-Hop. "Candy Rap" (also known as Crap) has taken over the airwaves in many cities causing true Hip-Hop heavyweights to head underground where appreciation, street cred and skills still reign supreme. Every now and then one will return to the surface to denounce the cultural blasphemy present in the game; enter 3Rd Degry aka The Real Nobody - this "one man show" understands the ups and downs of the industry and is a part of a movement of lyricists that are emerging from the subterranean shanties of the underground Hip-Hop scene to take back Hip-Hop and take Hip-Hop back; get it? You will, read on.

Finish this statement: “Hip-Hop is………

"Well, I can tell you what it’s not right off the bat, and that’s DEAD. I mean, honestly, to me, Hip-Hop is everything. It’s not just a way of life; it is life. I live and breathe Hip-Hop, it rests in our surroundings. It’s the graffiti on the wall by the bodega, the fitted hat leaning over your forehead, the boy’s break dancing in the train station at Times Square, that’s Hip-Hop. You might be asking yourself why I couldn’t finish the quote to begin with, and that’s a great question. I just feel like the skinny dippers (skinny jean wearers) aka the younger generation, and some of the older generations (shame on them) have lost all meaning to what Hip-Hop once stood for. A lot of these artists are out there making a mockery of their own culture just for a check, and that’s fucking scary. To think that you would bow out and or sell out on your own struggle for what the “popular demand” might be aggravates the shit out of me. Hip-Hop used to be about community and unity, there was no separation between artists because Hip-Hop was not just a popularity contest. It used to be solely based on what the artists and the people in their neighborhoods were facing, it was real talk, real life. Nowadays most the music has no relevance to what we live, there’s no substance anymore and the hate in the air has divided that same unity into Underground and Mainstream. Bottom line though, I can respect that the times are changing, I just can’t respect the change itself. The candy rap is not for me, I find glory in lyrically making sense, and having people become emotionally attached to my music because they can actually attest to what I rap about. Its as real as I am."

Were you influenced by the Latin music you where exposed to at a young age?

"Absolutely! There’s no question that my Puerto Rican background has influenced me musically. I am an extremely eclectic individual; therefore I draw inspiration from all that I hear. As I was growing up I realized that in all music, no matter how much the rhythm moved you, the words were what brought those instruments to life in my eyes. Once I began taking notice to the passion behind the lyrics of those same salsa and merengue records I would hear repeatedly, I knew I had found a form of self expression that would not only save me, but inspire others. Seeing Fat Joe and Big Pun make the transition as latino artists also proved that there was room for me in the game. So with that knowledge in hand, I set sail."

Who are your inspirations?

"Well, in Hip-Hop my inspirations are/were Big Pun, Notorious B.I.G., Pac, Jay-Z, Nas, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Big L, Slick Rick, KRS-One, Eminem, and honestly, any other lyricist you can think of. It always boils down to what you’re saying as an artist to me, because if I feel it bares no importance to life or what we go through as we struggle then I can just stock pile you with the rest of the bullshit music makers. At the end of the day, if I had a bad day at work and I come home to throw on some music, I’m not going to sit there and listen to “Stanky Leg” so I can feel better about it.

Now as far as my inspirations in life go, I have my mother Lorraine to thank for the fight in me. She has suffered through cancer, and open heart surgery, and still she continues on as if to say “nothing can keep me down”. I also have my sisters Ashley, and Summer, and my late girlfriend Layla to thank for never doubting me and supporting my every thought, no matter how empty the glass might have been, they always viewed it as half full. I also view what I have seen and lived as inspiration in itself. I mean, there’s nothing like being inspired by what you see, feel, or hear because those are the things that make your music REAL."

You’ve had some early industry drama in your career with bad management, how did that affect you aspirations?

"It didn’t affect my aspirations at all. It only made me smarter and better. I remember busting my ass to make sure we had everything ready too. I mean, he had us fooled. We came out of pocket for trips, studio, nearly everything. Meanwhile, he was selling our music and lyrics to other artists. I also had drama with artists while doing my songwriting thing. I wasn’t getting credit for my work with certain people and the labels will take you for a sucker in a heartbeat. It’s situations like that that either make or break an artist, and I was one of the lucky ones to be made."

So you’ve bounced back?

"No question. I have a new attitude, new goals, and it’s a new me out there baby. I couldn’t allow myself to be broken by anything or anyone who hadn’t seen my vision. Instead I felt I had to make them see it, and slowly but surely I’m opening eyes."

What projects are you working on?

"“Pardon The Interruption” which will be dropping shortly. It’s my way of saying “Excuse me fellas, my name is 3rd Degry aka “The Real Nobody” and your shit is trash”. I think it’ll be pretty self explanatory once it hits the ears of the critics. Aside from that, I am also working on “The Real Nobody” EP but you didn’t hear this from me."

Any guess stars?

"Not really. Truthfully speaking, only features I give out are to artists who need/deserve the opportunity to be heard. Unlike many, I enjoy taking the road less traveled. I refuse to use another niggas buzz to get on. I would rather ride my own fucking coat tail to the top and that’s why I grind so hard."

What’s your dream collabos?

"Good one. There are so many artists I would love to work with right now who I feel are amazing, such as Jay-Z, Kanye West, Common, Busta, T.I. and Ludacris out of the South, Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, Ryan Leslie. The list is rather extensive, but we’ll see who I can check off of it soon enough."

How did the death of Michael Jackson affect you?

"It was devastating. I mean when I was young all I remember was Michael being everywhere. World tours, music on every radio station, it was hard to escape his greatness. If there was ever one artist that showed me how much music could affect people’s lives, it was Michael. May he RIP and long live the King."

What’s the state of NYC Hip-Hop?

"NYC what? (laughing) It’s practically non-existent. I’ll keep it a hundred with you as I always do. The only place NYC Hip-Hop lives is underground, because the artists who do get that mainstream shine in NY are for the most part NOT making Hip-Hop. It’s apparent to me that the people aren’t the only one’s who have lost sight of what Hip-Hop is and should be, the artists themselves are blind as well. Instead of glorifying the bullshit for your check why not work on your songs and lyrics so that we can actually respect you for what you’re trying to do. I understand it’s a business, but I can only respect those who respect themselves. Real recognize real, and I know half these artists aren’t sleeping comfortable at night knowing that they’re making the music they’re being told to make and not the music they feel like making. So let’s just say NYC Hip-Hop is presently being plotted on for its assassination."

What sets you apart from the rest?

"I believe what sets me apart is my love for what the game stood for back when it began. I’ve always respected what Hip-Hop meant to us. Its point of views, and the artists that took what they did seriously. At the end of the road I stand alone because I am me. My music is an immediate expression of not only my own struggles but the struggles of those same people I want to understand me. So what better ways to gain their trust and ear than by putting their exact thoughts on reality into words we can all understand? What sets me apart is that I’m not really here for a check… I’m here because I love Hip-Hop."

Final question – everybody gets this one: Where will you be in five years?

"Ha! I don’t do 5 year plans buddy. I leave it all on the line everyday so that God can decide whether I worked hard enough or not for what I want out of life. So rather than answer that, I’ll do you one better. In the next year, expect to hear, see, and feel my presence in Hip-Hop. You’ll know the name by then."

Signing off,

3rd Degry aka “The Real Nobody” (BX STAND UP!)
www.twitter.com/therealnobody



Robert "Bobby" Du'Vall Humes, Sr.
Director/CEO
Semuh Breeze Promotions

No comments:

Post a Comment